Saturday, June 20, 2009

Turcot Yards

Les,

Now that you brought up the subject of the Turcot Yards again, and I know that I am repeating myself, but I thought that I would post the above excellant aerial photo of the yards wich I think you posted previously and a 1733 map of the Petit Lac Saint-Pierre wich was situated roughly to the west between Angrigon Boulevard and to the east by Decarie Boulevard. The north by Pullman street (just below the hill) and to the south by the Lachine Canal. This lake would widen and even become a bog depending on the season. So when anybody in that area, make a a mental picture going back in time when the indians owned the country, they would be fishing in the Petit Lac Saint-Pierre also called lac à la Loutre (Otters), so called  because the lake contained Otters. The Petit Lac Saint-Pierre would run to Pointe à Carrière in old Montreal and also turn south to Verdun approximately where the Champlain bridge is situated.  Another bit of history wich I learned since being a member o f the SHGV. It's never too late to learn.

Guy

Map Archives SHGV

No comments: