Friday, December 29, 2006

Doug Wilton 3rd Ave

Got news from Jim Miller that we've lost another Verdunite Doug Wilton 83yo of 3rd Ave. This is the email Jim sent me and I pass it on to the group. "RIP Doug" I will say he was a hell of a nice man. He and I shared a common friendship namely Bill W. and Dr. Bob for which we both were forever grateful. I shall miss him. I don't know if many here will remember Doug but I thought I'd share the passing of another soul who had the joy of having lived in Verdun.
 

Hi Gary,

Doug Wilton passed away Christmas day, I saw him 2 weeks ago and he asked me to pass along his regards as well as his buddy George Smith.

Doug and I go back to the 40's I grew up at 842 3rd ave Verdun he lived with his sister Betty and his Mum upstairs at 838 he was a older brother to me always a very pleasant fellow we lost contact over the years but during the ice storm of 1998 I met up with him again when he brought in the Shriners generator that would not start when he told me his name I asked if he was from Verdun you bet he said well I'm the kid you lived downstairs and did all your mothers errands he said not Jimmy Miller you bet I said well that was a start to a new friendship we stayed in touch over the years and talked from time to time, he was the very first person to visit me at the hospital other than Barbara when I came out of the operating room.

I sold him many Honda products over the years and got the Shriners set up with a new and better generator at the temple on Sources Blvd.

He called me a few weeks ago and asked about getting his equipment serviced before the winter as the guys who bought my shop have closed it up and there is no Honda dealer in the western section of Montreal, I told him I would take them to a very good dealer in Montreal north which I did then returned them to him a week later, he had a very serious stomach operation in August this year and it knocked the heck out of him, I visited him and he was really happy to see me we talked about all the years on 3rd ave and what happened to both of us since, it was a great afternoon.

When I was leaving his home 2 weeks ago he was out of breath and told me he had a hard time to get air I asked him not to use the snowblower and get his neighbor to do it he said he would, I offered to take him to the hospital but he declined he said he would go see his doctor, his sister Betty called me on Friday night last week to let me know he was in the Lakeshore General and not doing too well but was ok, I called the hospital Christmas morning to make sure he could receive visitors the nurse told me he passed away at 4:30am.

I talked to George Smith last night he was Doug's best friend he saw him on Thursday last week after visiting the doctor, the doc told him to get his affairs in order so he called George and they did just that then Thursday night he went in to the emergency, they got him on oxygen and had planned to send him home on Sunday but the CLSC could not get the oxygen set up at his house due to the Christmas holiday so the hospital said we will have it done on Wednesday, well he never made it and I will miss his chatting, he was a good man.

I thought you would like to know.

Happy new year to you and Judy and be well.

Jim

 

 

4 comments:

les__f MSN said...

Gary (Arbutus ) Thanks for bringing that news to our attention as well,....I have added the Gazette copy of Doug's obit to the In Memoriam section here,.sadly this area is indeed growing quickly,......but it's nice to know that a Good Guy was Remembered,..............Looks like Ruth and others who have left us,.will be forming one fantastic Connections Group ,   Also I noticed in the Memoriam section that another name was added, Hugh Burnett, died on December 25th as well,...this was posted by 'razzy' I will try to find an actual obit to ad in there for him too:   A lot of these obituary's have a Guest Book link where those who wish to extend condolences ,can do so: Here's the Gazette copy of the obit that Arbutus posted for us Wilton, John Douglas WILTON, John Douglas (Doug). Peacefully at the Lakeshore General Hospital on Monday, December 25, 2006, Doug in his eighty-forth year. Beloved husband of the late Thelma Sadler. Loving brother to Betty Batty and the late Tommy Wilton. Doug was a long-time employee of Air Canada. He was also an active member of the Eastern Star Lodge #74 for over fifty-five years. Also a member of Karnak Shriners, the Royal Order of Jesters Court #63, Montreal, 32nd Degree Mason, Richard Coeur de Lion Perceptory, Priory #7 and Mount Lebanon-Lakeshore Chapter #20. Funeral service from the Chapel of the Dallaire Wilson Funeral Home, 14370 Pierrefond Blvd., corner Blvd. St-John's, on Friday, December 29 at 11 a.m. Visitations: Thursday 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Funeral director Robert M. White, (514) 524-3432 Published in the Montreal Gazette from 12/27/2006 - 12/28/2006. Notice • Guest Book .................RIP..............................to all of our who have left us:  

arbutus MSN said...

Les,   Thanks for posting that over to Memorium.   Gary   Found this if you haven't already.   Burnett, Hugh BURNETT, Hugh. In Lasalle, passed away on December 25, 2006 at the age of seventy-five, husband to the late Helen McCarthy. He is survived by his sons Ken (Jacqueline) and Wayne. Grandchildren Meaghan, Tim, Kian and Olivia. His brothers John and the late Jim, and special friend Doris. Resting at J.F. Wilson Funeral Home, 5784 Verdun Ave., Verdun, Friday, December 29, 2006 from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. The funeral service will take place in the chapel on Saturday, December 30, 2006 at 11 a.m. In lieu of flowers, donations to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of Canada would be appreciated.

les__f MSN said...

Oh Thanks Gary (Arbutus),.....I hadn't found that one yet,.I will enter it ,unless it's already done. ........................................

les__f MSN said...

Ok Gary it's entered ,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks to you & Sharon(Razzy) for the update, .........and Thanks Maggie for starting that file,......Unfortunately it's membership is growing quickly too........