Tuesday, October 24, 2006

We need some help.

I have been asked by a very good friend of mine for help finding his biological family. Being that he would like at this time to remain anonymous, I am acting as his intermediary and would ask that if anyone at Verdun Connections who might be able to offer any information contact me directly. We would appreciate if everyone who frequents this site could take the time to read this, and respond should they have any information. We both thank you.
 
                           "LOOKING FOR MYSELF"
 
I realize that Verdun Connections is not normally used for this type of search, however I have tried every other possible avenue and have come up empty. I have been searching for my biological family since 1995, a number of years after my adopted parents passed away. I've registered with Parent Finders and a number of other well known search agencies, contacted all of the Quebec Government agencies and official channels, and hired a private investigator to see if he could uncover any information. Finally I tried the legal system, hiring a lawyer to see if we might obtain family medical history information as I had suffered a heart attack without exhibiting any of the normal factors. Each time I was stymied by Quebec's archiac and bureaucratic adobtion laws. While Les Centres Jeunesse de Montreal, the agency which holds all such records confirm they have my file including the names of my biological parents, Quebec law precludes their providing this information to me. This, in spite of the fact that they've confirmed that my biological mother passed away in 1999. Part of a Government program I participated in, did however, provide what is referred to as non-identifying information about my background history. I'm hopeful that it might trigger a thought or a clue as to who my bilogical family might be and possibly a response from someone in the Verdun Connections network. Before I highlight some of that information I want to assure you that mine is not a frivolous search. I am 58 years of age, retired with a terrific family including 3 grandchildren, who fill a big void in my life. I don't intend to impose myself on my biological family, but simply want to let them know I exist and would welcome the opportunity of learning more about my ancestry and heritage. Hodding Carter, a famous American journalist, once said "There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to leave our children. One is roots, and one is wings". My wife of 36 years and I have been successful at giving our children wings. We hope someone can help us give them roots.
 
Why I've posted this request on Verdun Connections will become evident as you read through the non-indentifying information I referrenced earlier. Here it is:
 
-  I was born on April 25th, 1948 at the Verdun General Hospital at 2:00AM, weithing in at 7lbs., 8 ounces and was admitted to the Youville orphanage on April 28, 1948.
- My mother was 24 years old, weighed 125 pounds and was 5'3" tall with chestnut hair and hazel eyes.
- She was English Canadian and Protestant.
- She was a waitress.
- She was pretty, pleasant and respectful. She was also sympathetic and gentle, and liked dancing, movies and sports.
- My mother had 4 brothers and 3 sisters.
-My mother's father and mother were 59 and 50 years of age respectively, and he was a carpenter.
-Both were aware of my mother's pregnancy and my mother apparently had a good relationship with her family.
 
- My father was 26 years old, weighed 145 pounds and was 5'7" tall with blond hair and blue eyes.
- He was also single, English Canadian and Protestant.
- He was a sailor, apparently good looking and liked to travel.
- It is not known whether he was informed of my mother's pregnancy or of my birth.
 
There is a certain irony to my being born in Verdun in that at the age of 17 I moved to Verdun, graduated from Verdun Catholic High School and remained in Verdun until age 20, when we moved to LaSalle. During that short timeframe I made numerous good friends in Verdun, many of whom I still see regularly. In fact, the nickname of "Wally" (after Brother Paul at VCHS) was given to me by Brian Boyle. Having spent those 3 years in Verdun and graduating from VCHS, I often wonder if I might have ever crossed paths with any members of my biological family before.
 
Thank you for taking the time to read this rather long winded "looking for" and I truly hope to hear from someone who may have some/any information relative to my biological family.
 
 
 

22 comments:

les__f MSN said...

Well Fir what it's worth,......You may be able to search through the Lovell's Directory,for the year 1948 ,because I believe that aside from finding address's & phone numbers,.......they also printed the 'occupation' of the person at that address,I realize this would mean a 'reverse search' of sorts,by reading every entry from the 'occupation' side of the column,and hopefully come up with a list of names of people who were 'carpenters' and this may help to narrow your search: It's Just a Thought,........but Good Luck in your Quest,and if I can help ,I will certainly try:

les__f MSN said...

Well I guess it's obvious ,that previous post should have read 'For' what it's worth...............Again Good Luck

shirleybh2 MSN said...

Your post makes me very sad.  Indeed you can search the Lovell's directory for 1948 in verdun on line and see if you can find a few carpenters listed.http://bibnum2.bnquebec.ca/bna/lovell/index.html

gpilon MSN said...

Les.   Thanks for your suggestion, and offer to help with this search. Can Lovell's Directory be accessed through the internet, do you know? Perhaps you can email me back with any further information you might have relative to Lovell's. Thanks again.   Glen

les__f MSN said...

Hi Glen,.......here's the Lovell's web address: http://bibnum2.bnquebec.ca/bna/lovell/index.html   You may have to learn to navigate around it,but it seems,like a quick learn, You will be able to select the year to search through,......I'm not the 'quickest' at searching this site,...but I'm certain,a little practice ,would prove to be handy: ShirleyBH2,actually posted this address,..in the post previous to your last one,.... also we have the main Lovell's webaddress listed in the Links Section,of our site over on the left side of VC opening page If you have trouble,finding any helpful information,then you might be able to ask the people at Lovell's ,to assist you,....I'm sure they would be able to find information much quicker......(Just a Thought). Good Luck,.........and I'll let you know if I find out something new.

lllllllfranticlllllll MSN said...

all i can say is good luck i hope something good comes up for you.im 2 young to know any ofthe info but maybe my family will help i will do my best to see what i can do ... your friend  frantic

shirleybh2 MSN said...

Maybe we could all take a section and help search through the Lovell's directory - many hands make light work.

winnie3ave MSN said...


Shirley. I have tried that Lovell's many times, and just can't get anywhere. I guess I am just a poor lost soul. Winston



All-in-one security and maintenance for your PC.  Get a free 90-day trial!

les__f MSN said...

Hi Glen, another thought just occured to me,...perhaps it's been tried,....but most people went to church in those days,...and if something ,as big as this event ,in your friends Life,is still on his mind,.then maybe ,and I would bet for certain,.this event is still very vivid in his family's mind too,(His BirthMom mostly),.....and if she still lives or has family ,that still lives in Verdun,.then maybe she still goes to Church there,.Maybe a well written note,asking for Help,.could be put up in some of the Churches around Verdun/Lasalle,.....asking for any information ,that might be out there,.......i realise this may be a very Long Shot,.....but Just Maybe someone may see it,and respond... I think most Church's haveabulletin board,of some kind,I would imagine they would Help if they could ,even if it's only to allow posting the message,I would think Your friends Mom ,could very well still be around,......and it's worth a try...........(Just a Thought)......All it takes is the Right Person to see it,and You might hit the jackpot..................Again Good Luck with this,& I'll keep thinking and keeping it 'Top of Mind Awareness'.............it's a small world out there,and someone just might have the answer

les__f MSN said...

It's a bit of work navigating this Lovell's Directory,....but I think I'm learning it a little bit anyway......... http://bibnum2.bnquebec.ca/bna/lovell/src/1948/4.Annuaire_montr%E9alais_des_rues/1.Noms_des_rues_et_avenues_des_municipalit%E9s_suburbaines/110773_1948_0072.pdf   This link above,...should take you to the beginning of the Street Guide for 1948,...Verdun streets will have (if I understand it correctly) a V ,beside the street,...and in many cases aside from the name of the street,there's an address usually ,the name of the person living there,and a lot of the time their occupation..............(but bear in mind ,I may be in the wrong section right now,.......so We'll have to figure it out: This is what you should see first: You should see the Lovell's                  Montreal  Street Directory                         and                    street directories http://bibnum2.bnquebec.ca/bna/lovell/index.html   Now on the left hand side ,you should see a blue column,with many choices,scroll down till you see 1948,then click it,then Look for something that says:                         Noms des rues et                         avenues des                         municipalities                         suburbaines                         (3) if after all this ,click on that ,phrase,and it will open the,Right Side of the page,.....and show you some info as I described at the beginning of this post..............hahaha I hope it works,...I'll keep trying here,but if you get this far ,then start looking...............

les__f MSN said...

Ok the Good News ,after all that typing,is that the 'really long link,works,but only takes you to that first page, but the second link in the previous post ,brings you to the start page of Lovell's,..then click on the left hand side of that first page and you will see a bunch of choices in the column on the left click........    Serie                     Principale                     (1842-1977) ok that will bring up a column of years to select from,selct 1948, then that will click :                      Annuaire                      Montrealais                      des rues then click on (the one I told you about in the previous post)                      Nom de rues et                      avenues des                      municipalites                      suburbaines                      (3) ...........................................................................................          That my friend should get you started,...............(I hope)                    Good Luck

les__f MSN said...

Glen , I was wondering ,if you have been able to convey to your freind,any of the idea's re: contacting Church's in the area,..and maybe setting up a Nice Concise Letter asking if any one ,might Remember,any type of information,that mught be helpful,to your friend's cause ? as I mentioned ,most church's or even care homes in the immediate area of Verdun/Lasalle,......would probably have a bulletin board,and many older folks would love to help if they can...... Keep us up to speed ,on what,if any progress,that you might be having,............Again Good Luck to you & your Friend, ......and don't forget to respond to this thread every so often,as it will slip away,if not brought to the top ,once in a while Top of Mind Awareness,.......is always important ,in business,and in attaining personal goals,.............Keep Focused,,and you may turn up some helpful leads,...........all getting you closer to your ultimate goal:

mom1945-linda MSN said...

How about an ad in a local newspaper re "searching for biological family" giving known information, i.e., birth date, hospital, city and the orphanage.  Might be worth a small notice!

les__f MSN said...

You know Mom'45,.....that is so obvious,that I didn't even think about that.......Good Thinking,....... ............and I thought I was such a smart a$$,...........hahahahahaha at least ,as I've mentioned before,..more than one teacher (or person of authority),.....has remarked :  Well Les ,you think ,your so smart,now don't you.....................hahahahaha  I think they were being facetious......................

mom1945-linda MSN said...

Here's another option.  May be worth checking out.    http://www.generations.on.ca/adoption.htm

les__f MSN said...

Hi Glen,.......Have you guys had any further success in learning the whereabouts of your friends family roots ? Let us know if any of the suggestions so far have been of any help, I know everyone would like to hear that a Successful & Happy Reunion ,.,has taken place.................Again  Good luck with this task: (just thought I'd bring it back in Focus,and maybe prompt a memory out there)..................................................

les__f MSN said...

Don't know if this is of any value,.or if anyone is still looking,.but checkout the website ,.seems to be people looking for birth Mothers etcetc,.Hope it's usefull, http://www.recherchesretrouvailles.com/recherches_et_retrouvailles_Merea.htm

les__f MSN said...

also came across this site,.which also seems to deal with missing family etc etc ,....might be of use http://www.waynecook.com/quebec.html

les__f MSN said...

Possibly another lead,..for you to follow up (most likely you've searched this before,..but I just came across it..and it can't hurt to post it) http://www.canadianadopteesregistry.org/adoptee_1959_01.html

mcgee5115 MSN said...

Les: Thanks again for continuing to forward possible sources. I'm currently registered with the Canadian Adoptions registry. It operates out of Camebridge Ontario. The other is one I've not heard of before and I'll look into it . Please keep em coming,you never know what might turn up.

les__f MSN said...

That's great,..hope it helps.........Good Luck,..

madreallife2 MSN said...

Hi, I just read your notice and the reason that I am writing is to tell you that I understand where you are coming from as I myself was adopted.  I was lucky to have at least a last name to begin with.  Eventually I did finally find my birth parents and the eight other siblings that I have.   I understand your need to "find yourself".  People do not understand what it is like to constantly question yourself with things like "Who do I look like?", "Who do I sound like, where did the characteristics I have come from?" "What if I need a transfusion?" and yes sometimes people pass you on the street and you think hmmmmmmm that could be my mom or brother or whatever.    What I did discover on my journeys that the reason you do not get help from QUEBEC is because they have alot to HIDE.  Most adoptions were not done legitimately.  It can never be proven but nottheless its true,  what they would do was simply REVERSE your name middle names, get you baptised (for a measly 500 bucks) and voila your adopted.    Example,  I am actually Margaret Madeline but they reversed it to Madeline Margaret .  Try doing that...............go back to the church..................its where the "reversing" of the names began.  Unfortunately your not going to get much help with govt agencies or the church but I did get alot of help from friends of the family, they usually know more than they want to tell you, someone out there knows,,,,,,,,,,,dig a bit more, you will find what your looking for......think, back far back, do you remember anyone ever joking about your last name???a brother, sister, friend perhaps.  My sisters used to do it all the time, thats how I realized what my real name was......they used to say little miss so and so and one day it clicked they were not joking.....if you need to talk email me directly and I will be more than happy to help in anyway that I can and good luck with the search. I hope you find what your looking for.