Sunday, October 22, 2006

The Gumper

Hey   'beeaired'  are you out there:  Here's a great story about your cuz
 
Gump Worsley makes a return visit to the Forum during a Montreal Canadiens alumni game..........it's from a while back,but I thought it would be interesting:........

Lorne Worsley picked up an unusual nickname as a boy. "I was about nine or ten years old. A fella I hung around with in Montreal named George Ferguson started calling me 'Gump.' I had hair that stuck up like Andy Gump, the comic strip character. The nickname came because of that." But the childhood tag remained for the rest of his life. "It's my own fault because when I went to play junior, you had to fill out a form and they asked for nickname and I put 'Gump' down and it stuck."

You can read the whole story here at:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/html/spot_oneononep198003.htm

..................He is certainly a Real Montreal Character.........................

..........as one of our members here (joey-verdun) once said,........Montreal didn't raise to many Vanilla People,..............almost all are or have a distinct

Character............................................................

No comments: