Sunday, April 16, 2006

1920 1979

This is for those born 1920-1979!

TO ALL THE KIDS

WHO SURVIVED the

1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we
rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.


Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.


We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.


We shared one soft drink with four friends,

From one bottle and...

NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank lemonade made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because .

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING !

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.

And we were O.K.



We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down
The hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or chat rooms..........

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
Lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,

Made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang
The bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!!!!!!!!!

 

If YOU are one of them . . CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as
Kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives

For our own good .

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?! Or the office.....

 


18 comments:

redmond2349 MSN said...

Very good Kunfo

les__f MSN said...

That is very true,.................   not to mention those playgrounds and parks,..with Steel,Concrete , Wooden Swings,.even the baby swings could catch your fingers............hahahahaha nowadays they want to get rid of these parks that were made out of beautiful timber,..because of the chemicals they use to preserve the wood,........i figure if yourkid is stupid enough to eat enough wood at a park,....then he's retarded,..or the Parent isn't teaching muxh to the kids.................hahahahaha      Good post  Jimmy (Kungfu)

redmond2349 MSN said...

Les I don't know of the Baby Swings how dangerous they were.I never played in them.Hahaha. Steve

les__f MSN said...

Those were the best ones Steves,..cause you didn't have to hang on,.....and you could finish off drinking your beer,..without worrying about falling out of the swing................hahahahahah     or finish offan ice cream as in the picture,...............hahahahaha Sorry 'bout the size of that thing (the picture not the ice cream),.......hahahah  I keep forgetting about reducing that one down,................ HF&RV See the kid in the bottom photo doesn't have an ice cream.//////or a beer    I Rest my Case...............................hahahahahah

redmond2349 MSN said...

Les that was the best part.Holding your beer or icecream cone.What park was the big swings at? Steve

multipurposeutensil MSN said...

Les, your second photo has intrigued me since the first time I saw it, in particular the billboards in the background....... ...the Mustang is probably a 1965 or '66, but what I find strange is that both billboards were in French only, this was not required by law before 1976. Of course this was not uncommon in a very 'French' neighbourhood, but I think this picture could have been taken in the small park on (Claude ?) just below Bannantyne, just west of the municipal garage / waterworks complex.   m.p.u.

happydi2 MSN said...

That was very good Kungfu......When we were kids life was so simple and a lot freer.....We were allowed to go to Angrignon Park from Angers street and play there all day, as long as we were home for supper. I wouldn't want to be a parent bringing up kids today......My daughter has two kids ages 6 and 8 and they have everything under the sun, but they aren't allowed out of her sight for even a minute. And if they get dirty....look out....!!!!! I remember a big party at my parents house around 1960 or so and my mother had a fit because my little cousin was sitting on the floor eating the cats food. My aunt said not to worry, if it wont kill the cat it wont kill him!! Hmm....that cousin is a little odd today....anyway, if only we could turn back the clock to when life was simpler, everybody knew everybody, we didn't worry over things like eating dirt etc as long as we could still have our computers......hehehe.....That's my take on the subject....Di

winnie3ave MSN said...


What a great time for us kids who grew up in those days. The simpler things of life were great. Our homes were small and cramped, we didn't have much. But we had and still have the memories of Verdun. Are the memories all great? No, probably not, but we can put those behind us and the good times and memories surpass anything else. Thanks to EVERYONE on this site for helping each otherlive thru and remember those carefree times. Winston Allison

happydi2 MSN said...

Linda, Linda, Linda!!!!!!! Wow....I couldn't have said any better!!

I have the perfect example of how times have changed.....I am the oldest in my family, then I have two brothers and finally a sister was born when my mom was 45.....When I was a kid we had to make our own fun, build forts, ice skate, go to the library and borrow books...imagine that....anyway I was the product of the 50's/60's then my sister comes along.....well the spoiled baby got everything she wanted, the latest toys, no hand-me-downs, trips to Florida etc.....and you know what? She complaines about how hard it was growing up with older parents.....even to this day she has a problem with it...boyh my parents are deceased, but one of these days she's gonna get an earful or at least an email.....Di

winnie3ave MSN said...

Di. I know how siblings complain, and how spoiled they seem to be. But you know what? We can be thankful that we are not the complainers. But in fact be the thankful ones. And we can feel sorry for them, because they only feel miserable. Isn't that the shame, that a lot of people can only remember the bad times, and how miserable they are. We just have to let them  wallow in their misery. Remember one thing, telling them how miserable they are  won't stop them. Misery loves company, and if they can they will try to bring you DOWN to their level. Don't stoop down to their level. Enjoy your good memories, and continue to share them here with us on VC. Thanks for sharing. Winston Allison

happydi2 MSN said...

Hi Winston and Chris:

I agree with you both......I guess Linda's rant ( wasn't it good?) got me stirred up a bit.

Yes my family, sister included usually pulls through and I do the same for them.......but just once I'd like to hear her say just one positve thing about her growing up years....Di

multipurposeutensil MSN said...

I drove by what I think is this park today. It is on Newmarch Street. I wanted to take some photos, but there were some very protective mothers that did not seem to like me snooping around. The baby swings are still the old type, I could not believe it. I will make another attempt soon. I will take a print of the two photos in Les' post just to compare,  and show any ''persons'' that might question why I am there.                                                              m>p>u>

mom1945-linda MSN said...

MPU   I think as long as you don't wear a black trenchcoat and sunglasses you'll do okay.  I really enjoy your trips around town. Thanks.   Cheers.

les__f MSN said...

Those will be interesting pics to see MPU,..and I can fully understand your awareness of the others in the park,,,,,,,,it's a strange world we live in now,...bring a picture of the VerdunConnections front page as well,....You might find us some new members.........Thanks for the Investigative reports.............maybe a hat with a 'press card' in the head band is in order,..........but you'll need a camera with the big old Flashbulbs...........hahahahaha                                       HF&RV

sabby MSN said...

Been having trouble with my computer over the weekend, so hope my reply will be posted.  Re young people.  Yeah, I was one of those in the sixties that hated hearing adults tell me how many miles they walked bare foot to school and how my music was noise (Beatles, Rolling Stones, rock n roll).  I too vowed I would never do that and sure enough the other week I told my son to turn off that noise that he calls music.  I had to catch myself.   It's not that each generation was better or worst, it was just different.  Kids have different issues today because of technology and if we were teenagers today, we'd be doing the same thing.  I try to remember what I felt like when I was a teenager and try to enter my son's world whenever I can.  It helps with the communication end of things and keeps me young and au courant!   Dolly

mom1945-linda MSN said...

Us versus them.....   I have a totally different problem these days with my daughter.  She's forever saying "How many times have I told you that you shouldn't be doing that.  Just you wait, one of these days you'll see what I mean."   You know that saying...."mirror, mirror, on the wall....I am my mother after all."  It's true, no matter what generation you are (or how old you are....or young).   Cheers

sabby MSN said...

Re PLaygrounds   I lived in Ville Emard from the age of 5 to 10 and my best friend and I would spend most of our time in Campbell Park near Holy Cross School and there was a park near Angrigon (spelling?) that we loved also.  Does anyone remember Campbell Park?  Loved the swings and I remember hanging upside down on the monkey bars until one day I fell and never again...should have gone back on....it's still not a fear I wish to conquer...     Dolly

mom1945-linda MSN said...

Sabby,   Remember Campbell Park very well, as I also lived in Ville Emard until 1966.  My girlfriend and I used to have picnics there in the summer, and spend the whole day playing on the different structures.  My mom used to give me a bit of change to buy myself something for a treat as well.    I also fell of the monkey bars, but at Connaught School.  I had a very bad concussion and had amnesia for 3 months.  I was 11 years old at the time.  Like you, not something I ever wished to confront again!    Cheers.