Thursday, March 9, 2006

Blue Bird Fire - Again

Heard a very interesting story today.  My sisters know this guy who was a distributor or whatever they call it perhaps jobber for the Gazette.  When the news of the Blue Bird Fire hit the radio - my family were living in the west end at the tine - I was living on Egan.  Anyway news hits the radio and these guys hear about it and decide that they are going to go have a look see - one of the guys was Mike DeLeva and I forget the other guys name - so outside the Blue Bird the firemen have bodies lined up on the sidewalk with white X's on them so Mike DeLeva and friend are taking a look and they spot their friend - there is Alan with a white X on his body - they were shocked so they load Alan into their car and take him to the hospital - well Alan had suffered smoke inhalation but HE WAS NOT dead.  The guys had got together this past week and were reminiscing about the fire and of course now it is a funny story - Alan is still going strong today - a girl my sister worked with at the Royal Trust was killed in that fire.  I have to wonder how many other's with X's on them might have been saved.

No comments: