Wednesday, December 14, 2005

All that Jazz.

Poem: "In memory of George Lewis, Great Jazzman" by Lou Lipsitz from
Seeking the Hook: New & Selected Poems. 짤 Signal Books. Reprinted with
permission.

In memory of George Lewis, Great Jazzman

1

Man is the animal that knows
the clarinet

makes his living
on the docks, a stevedore,
110 lbs., carrying what loads
he can

the Depression comes along,
his teeth rot, no money, and
he has to accept silence

2

Thirteen years
later
they put the instrument
back together
with rubber bands
bought him
new teeth
and then he began

----------I----C----E
------E-------------------I
----C----------------------C
---I-------------------------E
----C---------------------C
------E------------------I
----------I----C----E
--C------------------------C

-----R------------------R

--------E------------E

-----------A------A

-------------M-M


--------------E-----R----------------------------------A-----V
--------V------------------T--------------------W------------------E
-O--------------------------------H-----
E-----------------------------------S


--M---------------------------------------T
---Y-------------------------------------I
-----B---------------------------------N
-------U-------------------------------I
---------C---------------------------E
-----------K------------------------L
-------------E---------------------O
---------------T'-----------------H
-----------------S-G-O-T----A



One song they say

was pure
uninhibited joy
words
cannot tell you

survived so long
in those empty jaws

3

He lived and died
there.
Had a New Orleans funeral.

Leading the mourners
his old friends' band
trudged
to the cemetery, heads
down, trombones scraping
the ground, slow tones of
"Just a Closer Walk..."
helping to carry
the solemn mud
of their steps.

Graveside,
words said, tears fallen,
they turned
to walk back;
a few beats on the big
drum, then soft plucking
of a banjo string—
in another block
the clarinet wailed
and then suddenly they were
playing
"The Saints..." full blast
and people jumped
and shouted and danced
just as he'd known they would.

4

Alright. There is a frailness
in all our music.
Sometimes we're broken
and it's lost.
Sometimes we forget
for years it's even in us, heads
filled with burdens and smoke.
And sometimes we've held
to it and it's there,
waiting to break out
walking back from the end.

11 comments:

bobb MSN said...

A pioneer of New Orleans Jazz.  If you enjoy this style of Jazz (I do), then there's a radio treat for you.  Toronto has an all Jazz radio Station Jazz FM at 91.1 onteh FM dial.  But you can listen on the internet at   www.jazz.fm   And every Monday night at 9:00 PM Eastern time, there is a sho wcalled My Kinda Jazz. It's hosted by Jeff Healey who made his name as a killer blues / rock guitar player.  Jeff now plays a lot of traditional New Orleans style jazz with his band, the Jazz Wizards.  On Mondays he hosts the show I mentioned and brings in selections from his own collection of records.  Lots of fun.    And of course, Jazz FM also plays lots and lots of current jazz players as well as the usual supects.   BobB

guy5479 MSN said...

Dont miss station 91.9 (Montreal) an all jazz station which celebrates its first anniversary today.

bobb MSN said...

Guy

what are the "call letters" .... ie. CXXX for 91.9? I'll look it up on the internet and see if I can listen in.

BobB

altmgr1 MSN said...

Hi   BobB ,.....Here's a list of Radio Stations in Montreal & includes 91.9 jazz    http://ptaff.ca/radio_montreal/?lang=en_CA        Scroll down a bit and it's right there

secondave MSN said...

Bob thanks for the jazz radio site.
Haven't been listening to too much jazz . There was a time when that
was all I wanted to hear. Here are some of the CDs I have in my jazz
collection:
Abbie Lincoln, David Sanborn, George Benson, Shirley Horn, Cassandra
Wilson, Ramsey Lewis, Charlie Bird Trio, Juan Amalbert (latin jazz),
Winton Marsallis, Lee Ritenour, The Modern Jazz Quartet, Charlie
Parker, The Three Sounds, among others. Oh I should mention little
Jimmy Scott.
I also enjoyed a brand of music like Spyro Gyra, Strunz & Farah, Willie
& Lobo, Manhattan Transfer.
Tonight is the first time I have opened this particular CD case.
I suppose I go through fazes. Lately I have been listening to Christmas
music. Anything with operatic christian music. IL Divo album is great.
Ava Maria in Italian is the best selection on the album.

English translation -- not as inspiring but nice anyway.

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Ave-Maria-lyrics-Celine-Dion/
2240F624FC931B3E48256864001E2146

Ave maria
Maiden mild!
Oh, listen to a maiden’s prayer
For thou canst hear amid the wild
’tis thou, ’tis thou canst save amid dispair
We slumber safely till the morrow
Though we’ve by man outcast reviled
Oh, maiden, see a maiden’s sorrow
Oh, mother, hear a suppliant child!
Ave maria
Ave maria, gratia plena
Maria, gratia plena
Maria, gratia plena
Ave, ave dominus
Dominus tecum
The murky cavern’s air so heavy
Shall breathe of balm if thou hast smiled
Oh, maiden, hear a maiden pleadin’
Oh, mother, hear a suppliant child
Ave maria
Ave maria

bobb MSN said...

Hi Altmgr1

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
BobB

bobb MSN said...

Hi Bill

That's quite a jazz selection. I don't know Strunz & Farah. I will look them up. Ave Maria ..... lovely!!

You mention Little Jimmy Scott. I remember when I discovered him. About 8 years ago. I was watching PBS....Sessions form West 54th. They would feature an artist live in concert. Well this night it was Jimmy Scott. I was blown away!! The song I remember was "Holding Back the Years".

I think I own all his records now. And what a story he is. The singers' singer.

BobB

kungfu MSN said...

HI Bill, so sorry for you , big snow storm here, outside Montreal ( Ile Perrot ) and you shall miss it , I love SNOW   Sitting here listening to "Simply Blues "now some of the " jazzers " are unique , for instance , Last night   Lightnin Hopkins , what a cool dude  , Whiskey and Women   John Lee Hooker ,Hobo Blues  , Hooker , etc . etc. ,  Thanks for being yourself , remember , no one kicks a dead tree   Jimmy    p.s.You have to listen to ,Where did you sleeep last night    by  Leadbelly                                                  

les__f MSN said...

Hi kungfu ( Jimmy) sounds like alot of Blues happening there,.........I really like that stuff,........and have always thought that most music sort of stems from the Blues,........I like most music as well,.....but don't have the appreciation for the 'hard jazz'  I guess,...although I like plenty of jazz artist's music,............      for a guy who is sort of jazz oriented (completely unlike his oldman) ,.....try   A.J.Croce,.........he does some good stuff ( matter of opinion) ,....but it borders blues/jazz........he has some great songs,  & good lyrics,......look him up you may like some of his stuff,......( his oldman was Jim Croce,.......who's music was entirely different........) ..................    

secondave MSN said...

I also love the snow as well. When I was a kid, walking the 5 or 6
blocks to Bannantyne School was a magical wonderland especially after
an extra large snowfall during the night. First we had to push our
front door open just enough to squeeze by against 3 feet of snow. Our
flat was on the lower level. Sometimes instead of stepping down 3
stairs, we could walk straight out to the sidewalk. Verdun nights were
sometimes special. We were enthralled looking up at the moody 2nd
Avenue street lamps through the snow flakes, and being transfixed by
the quietness of it all.
I listen to Leadbelly when he's on. I have to be in the right mood. I
will check out that song though.
Recent Judy Collins' releases are much better than her earlier ones I
think. Her voice has much more depth today. 'Both Sides Now' is perfect.
Bill

Silence is the language God speaks. Everything else is a bad
translation.

secondave MSN said...

Leadbelly's 'On a Christmas Day' is a happier selection, but 'Where
did you sleeep last night' is as you implied, a soulful song indeed.

"The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: Neither shall they
say, Lo here! or Lo there! for behold, the kingdom of God is within
you."