Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Remembering Verdun and Victoria, BC







 



Many years ago, 1970 1971, I too lived in Victoria on Government Street (at
Beacon St. if I remember correctly) about a 10-15 minute walk from the
Legislature not far from Beacon Hill Park.      It was Retirement Capital of
Canada (for the wealthy) at that time. 
Is it still?



 



  I celebrated my 19th



 



 



 



  Friends and family were constantly sending me newspaper
clippings of the soldiers on tops of buildings along Dorchester and the
like. 



 



  I
had a little miniature poodle when I lived out there and we walked all over
that city together.  There was a snow
storm, which shut the city right down for about 3-days, schools closed, roads
closed but there was Rudy (my god) and I out there romping in the storm. 



 



I just loved Beacon Hill Park and the one thing I remember that amazed
me was there was holly growing.  I
had never seen holly growing before and there were signs around the park
stating $50.00 fine for picking the holly (and probably anything else as well)
so there I was out at midnight with my knife/sisters cutting branches of holly
to send back east for my parents and grandparents.   
I tried to preserve it for the long trip by lining boxes with tin foil
and liberally sprinkling water over the holly but I never thought it would take
over a month to get to Montreal. 
Boy, have times changed!



 





 



As for Elmhurst Dairy and the laughing cows, I just received an e-mail
from Peggy Curran of The Gazette. 
       



 



 Have a great day. 



 



 



Heather



"If we fail to nourish our souls, they wither, and without
soul, life ceases to have meaning.... The creative process shrivels in the
absence of continual dialogue with the soul. And creativity is what makes life
worth living."



-- Marion Woodman



 





No comments: