Monday, March 29, 2004

Good old days

Does anyone remember the old movie theatre? I think It was called the Savoy. Back then when you went to see a movie they let you stay and watch it over and over....Now a days they are pushing you out as soon as the credits come on. I seem
to recall that there used to be some sort of coupon and just a few cents to get into the saturday matinees. And the popcorn machine was great. If you knew where to hit the machine it would give you extra popcorn. Then there was Big Jims' on the corner of Egan and Verdun ( I think Egan but then again maybe it was Osborne)..One Saturday his soft icecream machine broke down and instead of throwing all the icecream out he gave it all to us. Boy did my stomach ever hurt after that.. I don't think I could look at icecream again for at least a year. He used to have pinball machines and one called the gattling gun. That was when it didn't cost too much to play them. The good old days.

Heather (Jo) Smith...aka. Angel...Class of 74

5 comments:

dzldawg1 MSN said...

Yeah, saw many a movie at the Savoy, use to play the baseball pin ball machine at Jims on Egan too, use to go there for lunch from the annex, play the baseball game and listen to the juke-box five cents to play the games and three songs for a quarter, steamed hot dogs and fries (ah I miss those steamers can't get them out here)

pomolive2 MSN said...

.....At some point in 68'-69 a gang of us went into the Savoy,around noon.to watch all the speghetti westerns of Clint Eastwood,..in at noon time and by the time we left it was dark/night time seems I remeber it being 11:00pm.'

sugarandspice113622 MSN said...

I remember going to the Savoy and seeing all the King Kong movies...and Godzilla ROFL!!   I think it cost around 50cents then and you got to sit and watch cartoons, at least 2 movies and no one bothered if you didn't leave.   I also remember going into Rossy's on Wellington...I loved that store...could buy anything in there.   It was a sad day for me when I had to leave Verdun.  I haven't been back in over 20 years....living in Scotland made that difficult...but I'm back in Canada and I'll be visiting the old stomping grounds soon...if they still exist that is!!!!

sharon_starr MSN said...

The price was 50 cents when I used to go too. But didn't ya know that there was a coupon in Verdun's weekly paper for 25 cents. That coupon and a quarter got me into many movies at the Savoy! hehe My Mom was a single mother raising 3 kids so she'd buy me a soft drink and a chocolate bar or give me a sandwich to stick in my pocket so I didn't have to buy popcorn...lol. Remember before the shows started that they'd be playing music and a lot of girls got up on stage and danced for everyone? LMAO! I NEVER had the guts to get up there, man! Rosemarie, how old are you if you don't mind me asking....you seem to be somewhere near my age of 44? What school(s) did you go to in Verdun? And how did you end up in Scotland for 20 years, girl? Nice place to end up tho if you ask me...lol. I'm in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia USA now....simply awesome. Nice to have you join us! Luv, Sharon

alanarchie MSN said...


Hi Rosemarie,

What part of Scotland were you in? My family came from Dundee & Dalkeith. My brother Bob & I have become quite interested in culture over the last couple of years... in fact we both play in the Shriners Bagpipes & Drums here in Boston.

Alan