Friday, August 29, 2003

Mag...About the Just Verdun Photo Album here!

Maggie...I was just checking out your "Just Verdun" photo album here. I saw the pic that you are wondering where it was taken. If nobody has guessed it can I take a stab at it? I hope you don't mind, but I downloaded the pic and lightened it to see better cuz it was bugging that I was sure I knew where it was but I had to see. Isnt that the lane that runs parallel between 4th and 5th avenue and that's the back of the French church that's on Verdun Ave between those same streets?
Also....you know that building that's on Lasalle Blvd. with all that beautiful woodwork? It's between Willibrord and Rielle not Rielle and Gordon. It's just 2 or 3 buildings down from where you used to live matter of fact. I know that for sure cuz I watched that couple work on that building by HAND for almost 2 years, slowly but surely removing all those years and layers of old paint and sanding it down with love till it was it's original woodwork. It was totally amazing to watch the transformation, not to mention see how beautiful it turned out. :-)
It was too much to see your pic of the coner of Lasalle Blvd. and Willibrord too...my grandmother AND my Uncle Ronnie's house show in that pic! You babysit for my Uncle Ronnie a few times didn't you? Or was that Tina or Sandy?
That album is great Mag...just as the rest of them are...talk about memories!
Let me know if you think I'm right about that back lane pic, ok?
Luv, Sharon

3 comments:

dannyb-- MSN said...

Hi Sharon,  You are right about that picture. I played there for years. That is the back of the church. And the view was taken near Bannantyne. I also played on that fire truck in the park. I never played on that snow side I always went up to Mount Royal in the winter and skated at Willibrord park from a very young age. We walked there from 3rd ave. with our skates on. Ands if we wore our boots we stoped at 2nd ave. restaurant for hot chocolate on the way home.  Dannyb--  

sharon_starr MSN said...

Thanks Danny, I thought that's where it was, I used to play around there too. Do you remember that the French school on Verdun Ave. between 5th and 6th had a playground in it's yard? It wasn't big but it did have a sprinkler to cool off in the summer. And the huge yard was a great place to play ball and frisbee etc cuz it was all fenced in well. It was a place where a lot of French/English fights happened too, remember that excitement in the good old days? LOL! It was taken down when the school decided that it needed a new gymnasium. Second Ave. restaurant...now there's a trip down memory lane. We used to hang there when I was a teen and almost got kicked out a few times for being too rowdy hehe. Luv, Sharon

mike_stark MSN said...

Hi Sharon,   I played many a hockey game at that rink in the late 50's for Norman Dawe. My team was the Ravens. There were also the Orioles, Owls, Bluebirds(?) to name a few. Barry Grenchuck's dad was the coach. I've even got some old movies of the action taken with an old Keystone camera! No headgear in those days!! It was just north of Woodland Auto above Bannantyne. The pic was taken looking north, on the south end was the warming shack,,,,if my memory isn't too fuzzy.   Mike